by Caroline Young
last revised February, 2017/ DC
NOTE: All of the web sites listed on this Internet Guide provide free resources unless otherwise indicated.
New York Constitution
- New York State Legislature This site includes the current New York Constitution. Click on "Laws of New York". Scroll all the way down to "Miscellaneous" and click on "CNS".
- New York State Senate This is another link to the New York State Constitution. Available in Microsoft Word .doc Format.
New York Statutes, Bills, & Legislative History
- New York State Legislature This site contains the New York unannotated code, New York State Legislative Resolutions, and New York State Legislative Bills. Legislative Session Information can be searched for the years 1995-present. Click on "Laws of New York" under the Search heading to access the unannotated statutes.
- New York State Assembly Provides links to current legislative information. Use the Quick Bill Search to search for bills by bill number. Click on Legislative Information to search for bills by keyword or bill number or to run a Floor Vote search.
- New York State Senate Provides links to current legislative information.
- New York State Laws from Findlaw Findlaw offers access to New York state laws and provides the ability to search by keyword or citation.
- New York State Statutes from HeinOnline’s New York Legal Research library (Rutgers Law School Access only). Selective coverage from prior to 1923.
- Guide to New York Legislative History A step-by-step guide to doing legislative history in New York, provided by the New York State Library. In addition to the tutorial, take a look at the separate page on legislative intent for additional helpful information.
- New York Legislature Bill Search
- New York Archives Links to New York Bill Jackets.
- Senate Videos Access video recordings of legislative sessions including live streamed events.
- Live and Archived Assembly Proceedings Live audio and video of legislative proceedings of the state Assembly. Click on “Search the Video Archive” to access legislative proceedings back to the 2006-2006 Legislative Session.
- Session Laws from HeinOnline’s New York Legal Research Library (Rutgers Law School Access only). Coverage from 1691-2008.
Fee-Based Legislative Information
- New York Legislative Service This is a fee-based service that provides access to full-text New York State and New York City legislative information.
New York Court Rules & other Judiciary Material
- New York State Unified Court System Official homepage of the New York State Court system. Includes links to homepages of some individual courts, selected court decisions, a guide to New York courts, selected court rules and legal forms.
- New York Court of Appeals Homepage Includes court rules, information about the court and its judges, as well as recent decisions.
- Record Press Links to Record Press’s set of PDF format pamphlets that highlight the most relevant New York State appellate rules, including the four departments of the New York Supreme Court Appellate Divisions.
- Findlaw Court Forms for New York State
- Downloadable Forms Purchase downloadable forms from the New York State Bar Association organized by practice areas and topics.
New York Court Decisions & Proceedings
- New York State Unified Court System Links to recent decisions from the Court of Appeals, First, Second, Third and Fourth Appellate Departments, Supreme Court Civil and Criminal decisions from many counties, Commercial Division, Court of Claims, and the Official Reports.
- Appellate Courts
- Appellate Divisions (Intermediate Appeals)
- Trial Courts
- Supreme Court Civil and Criminal decisions, dating back to 2001 from eCourts.
- New York State Court of Claims Decisions March, 2000-present.
- eCourts Find future appearance dates for cases in Criminal, Family and Housing Court. View information on both active and disposed cases in Civil Supreme and Local Civil Courts. Sign up for eTrack case tracking service to receive email updates and appearance reminders for Civil Supreme and Local Civil Court cases.
- Law.com/ny Includes selections from The New York Law Journal. Opinions are available by subscription only. Daily features and opinions may be read on-line.
- New York State Reports from HeinOnline’s New York Legal Research library (Rutgers Law School Access only). Selected cases from 1674-1957.
New York Ethics Codes & Ethics Opinions
New York Executive Orders & Proclamations
New York Agencies, Rules and Regulations
New York Administrative Decisions and Opinions
New York Attorney General's Opinions and Briefs
- New York State Attorney General. Includes opinions issued since 1995 and significant briefs from the United States Supreme Court, New York Court of Appeals, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and Other Courts
- Attorney General Reports and Opinions From HeinOnline’s New York Legal Research Library (Rutgers Law School Access only). Includes Opinions of the Attorneys-General of the State of New York from the Formation of the State Government to February, 1872, as well as New York Attorney General Reports and Opinions from 1890-2016.
New York Municipalities and Counties
New York City
Other Cities and Counties
Fee-based publications from the New York State Bar Association
- Bar Journal The New York State Bar Association Journal features substantive articles relating to the practice of law in New York State. It is published nine times per year and distributed to members free of charge, as a benefit of membership.
- State Bar News The State Bar News is the official publication of the New York State Bar Association and provides members with up-to-date information about Association events and matters of interest to legal professionals.
- NY Law Digest Online Edition Professor David Siegel's NY Law Digest offered as an archive of PDF documents dating from 2002 to the present. Law Digest is published monthly and is a New York Bar members-only publication.
New York Bar CLE Publications
- New York Bar CLE Library from LoisLawConnect (Rutgers Law School Access only). Written and edited by leading attorneys from throughout New York State. Covers a variety of practice areas.
New York Topical Legal Sites
- N.Y. State Government Overviews, guides, and contact information regarding a variety of topics including Freedom of Information Law (FOIL), child custody, and parole and probation.
New York Electronic Libraries
- New York Legal Research Library From HeinOnline (Rutgers Law School Access only) Includes the reports and opinions of the New York Attorney General, the New York State Register, Tax Cases, New York State Session Laws, New York Law Journals, the New York State Bar Association Journal, legal classics from or about New York, New York trials, New York Codes prior to 1923 and State Reports.
- Treatise Libraries From LoisLawConnect (Rutgers Law School Access only) Practice guides, forms and checklists, analyses and practice tips covering a variety of practice areas.
Other New York Sites