The 3 basic steps to preparing your document:
- Create a page before main body of your brief
- Divide your brief into sections
First: create a page before the main body of your brief
- Place cursor at top left of body of brief > Insert > Blank Page
- At the top of the blank page type on three separate lines: Cover Page, Table of Contents, and Table of Authorities.
Note: In Word 2010 for PC, the default font is Calibri. If you typed your brief in Calibri (or other font) and wish to change it, you can do so now.
- CTRL-A will highlight entire document
- Home Tab > select font (e.g., Times New Roman) > adjust font size also at this time if you wish
Next: divide your brief into sections as follows:
- Section 1 = Cover Page
- Section 2 = both the TOC and TOA
- Section 3 = rest of the brief
To divide your brief into sections insert section page breaks into your document:
- First, go to the page where you typed Cover Page, TOC, and TOA
- Put cursor at left of the T of "Table of Contents"
- Go to Page Layout tab > Breaks > click arrow > opens dialog box > Section Breaks (NOT Page Breaks) > Next Page
- That is one section done.
- Next, put cursor at left of the first heading in the body of your brief (this should be the first word of your brief)
- Go to Page Layout tab > Breaks > Section Breaks > Next Page
- Your brief is now divided into 3 sections (Cover Page; TOC & TOA; Body of Brief)
Last: insert pagination as follows:
- Cover Page (section 1) is NOT paginated
- TOC & TOA (section 2) is paginated using small Roman numerals (i, ii, iii...)
- Body of Brief (section 3) is paginated using regular Arabic numbers (1, 2, 3...)
How to insert pagination > TOC &TOA (section 2):
- Double click in footer section of TOC & TOA page (section 2) > brings up Header/Footer dialog box
- The "Link to Previous" is highlighted > we do NOT want to link to the previous section (because the Cover Page does not get a page number) > click "Link to Previous" > double check that it is un-highlighted
- At top left of ribbon is Page Number > click arrow > select a page number position
- This gives you a regular page number, but you want small Roman numerals for the TOC & TOA > make sure the number is highlighted > Page Number > Format Page Numbers > at Number Format drop down select "i, ii, iii..." > Start At > OK
How to insert pagination > Body of Brief (section 3):
- Process is same as for Section 2 except you want to use regular Arabic numbers
- Scroll to footer at bottom of first page of body of your brief > Page Number > Format Page Numbers > Number Format > select "1, 2, 3..." > Start At > OK
- Close header/footer dialog (top right, red box with X)
You are done with preparing your document!