The 3 basic steps to preparing your document:
- Create a page before main body of your brief
- Divide your brief into sections
First: create a page before the main body of your brief
- Place cursor at top left of body of brief > go to Document Elements tab > Insert Pages > Blank
- At the top of the blank page type on three separate lines: Cover Page, Table of Contents, and Table of Authorities.
Note: In Word 2011 for MAC, the default font is Cambria. If you typed your brief in Cambria (or other font) and wish to change it, you can do so now.
- Command-A will highlight entire document
- Home Tab > select font (e.g., Times New Roman) > adjust font size also at this time if you wish
Next: divide your brief into sections as follows:
- Section 1 = Cover Page
- Section 2 = both the TOC and TOA
- Section 3 = rest of the brief
To divide your brief into sections insert section page breaks into your document:
- First, go to the page where you typed Cover Page, TOC, and TOA
- Put cursor at left of the T of "Table of Contents"
- Go to Layout tab > Break > click arrow > opens dialog box > Section Breaks (NOT Page Breaks) > Next Page
- That is one section done.
- Next, put cursor at left of the first heading in the body of your brief (this should be the first word of your brief)
- Go to Layout > Break > Section Breaks > Next Page
- Your brief is now divided into 3 sections (Cover Page; TOC & TOA; Body of Brief)
Last: insert pagination as follows:
- Cover Page (section 1) is NOT paginated
- TOC & TOA (section 2) is paginated using small Roman numerals (i, ii, iii...)
- Body of Brief (section 3) is paginated using regular Arabic numbers (1, 2, 3...)
How to insert pagination > TOC &TOA (section 2):
- Put cursor somewhere in Section 2 > Document Elements tab > Header & Footer subtab > click Page # > select a Position > select an Alignment > check "Show on first page"
- Click Format > at Number Format drop down select "i, ii, iii..." > Start at > OK > OK
How to insert pagination > Body of Brief (section 3):
- Process is same as for Section 2 except you want to use regular Arabic numbers
- Put cursor somewhere in section 3 > Document Elements tab > Header and Footer subtab > Page # > select a Position > select an Alignment > check "Show on first page"
- Click Format > Number Format drop down > select "1, 2, 3..." > Start at > OK > OK
Note: If a page number appears on the Cover Page, place cursor somewhere on the Cover Page > Header & Footer subtab > click Page # > de-select "Show number on first page" > page number should disappear
You are done with preparing your document!